Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oopsie!


Oopsie! So its been at least a week since I have been home and I haven't talked at all about any of the books I read on vacation. Well guess what! I didnt get a chance to read much! I know! I'm a fraud as a lover of books! You should all just behead me! Hahaha But if you spare me I can tell you all about the one book I was able to read on vacation. Its called Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith.

Eternal is very interesting because its about a girl and her guardian angel. Now I don't really believe in guardian angels and I don't think that allot of the stuff in the book is biblicaly correct but remember its just fiction. Anyway the girls name in Miranda and Zachery is her Guardian angel. Miranda is just a normal girl trying to have a normal life but that's hard for her when her parents are divorced and she is too scared to even talk when she auditions for her school play. She thinks no one sees her and the one person who does can't be seen by her. Zachery fell in love with Miranda and knows her better then anyone else ( i thought that was kinda stalkerish) but he can never tell Miranda this because the rules of guardian angels is that only in an emergency can you show yourself but only to help. Also the rules say that if the person your guarding has reached the point when they must die you can not intervene.

Unfortunately when Miranda's card is up in a grave yard filled with blood thirsty vampires (a strange twist in the plot I thought but it actually fits) Zachery does the unthinkable, he gets in the way of death. His punishment it pretty harsh. Zachery has "fallen from grace" (seriously, that's what it said) and has been demoted to being almost human. He feels everything we do except he can't die. For a year he walks the earth and falls victim to the world. He fills his new human emptiness with alcohol and eventually he is given a chance to redeem himself. He has to save Miranda.

Now Miranda isn't home all warm in her bed. Miranda is now miles away living in Chicago and is now the Dracula's adopted daughter (Not the actual Count Dracula, the name is like a title) . The Dracula is the king of vampires and is in charge of them. Miranda is now a Vampire Princess, one of the undead and Zachery's task is to save her. Now here is an interesting twist, how can you save a minion of the Devil? Hmmmmmm?

I actually really liked this book and if the author had this could have been a really good story to promote the gospel. Alas it didn't but it does have the moral that no one is too far gone to be saved. Hope that this review made sense because believe me it was really hard to explain it. The way the book was written was confusing for me because the chapters filliped back and forth from Miranda to Zachery so even though the chapter is clearly labeled as either Zachery or Miranda you can sometimes become confused. But I think this book was really good. I'm not sure if there is going to be a sequel or not. Ever read a book where you wish there was a sequel but you know it would just ruin the series if it continued? Well thats how I felt at the end. But you may not feel that way so read it!

6 comments:

  1. Kat, I can't tell you how uber amazing this book review blog is! For the past couple months I was having trouble finding good books to read. . .I guess that’s not a problem anymore.
    Thanks!

    -Plump Dumpling-

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cover looks twilight-ish.
    I have to agree with mary, amazing blog!! I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww! Thanks you guys! I have a warm fuzzy feelin gin my tummy now. Like i swollowed a kitten. Or Remy! Awwww! :D I'm happy you all like it! XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, seriously, where do you find all these books? Do you just pull them off a shelf somewhere or what?

    It looks awesome. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swallowing a kitten sounds extremely painful and not warm and fuzzy at all. o.o

    Intruiging!

    verification word: homaldi
    definition: a gypsy ritual of a young girl's first meal cooked on her own

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are acucally a couple of sites I get books from and yes i have accually just grabbed books off the shelf at the library. I don't mean to but sometimes i do judge a book by its cover but its worked for me so far! XD

    ReplyDelete