Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner


I don't remember exactly when I read this but I know it was recent. I just never put up a review for it. Maybe I read it right before I started this blog?Hmmmm? Well any ways, this book is called Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner and it was very captivating. I didn't think I would enjoy it and I did! It takes place in a post apocalyptic world. (hmmm, maybe I have a thing for books about the Apocalypse 'cause this is not going to be the last book I review that takes place in a post apocalyptic world. Also I feel so smart saying post apocalyptic!)

The book is about a 15 year old girl Liza (there are books on the way with male main characters I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I'll read them on vacation.) who is living in a world that fears the woods, the grass, the weeds, the air and even their own children because of what happened many years ago. The world we know is gone, destroyed by the faeries who came out of their realm and tried to take over ours. Both sides lost tragically and now only a few million humans remain in the world. Magic is feared above all else and it resides in almost everything. Children born with hair as silver as a faeries or show any other "faerie traits" are "given back" to the faeries meaning they are left to die. Liza's mother gives birth to a baby girl with beautiful silver hair and without a word her father takes her and leaves her on a hill to die. Liza's mother leaves in the middle of the night just a couple days later. A few weeks go by and after making a small mistake her father, who is a very abusive man beats Liza. She goes to the local healer for remedy for her pain. While she is there she sees her reflection in a mirror, she has never seen herself in a mirror before because they were all destroyed in the War. When the light catches the mirror she sees pictures of places she has never seen and realizes, she is magic. Not wanting her father to kill her she runs away.

When she finds a small town that's different from hers in the way that magic is actually encouraged and children are taught to control their magic she is confused after living in a town were magic is killed before it can kill. She finds out some things about her mother that she never knew and sets out to find her with her friend Matthew who has secrets of his own. ( I won't tell you because it would ruin the story but lets just say I has a "I did not see that coming!" moment when I found out the secret!)

This book was really really good. I was so sucked into this book. It was an amazing book to read. The characters were likable and there were a lot of "OH WoW!" moments when you find something out you wish you had seen before. :) I really suggest this book to those who like books about faeries or just books about magic. I like comparing the differences authors have in their versions of what they think faeries are. That's also why i like a million vampire books. I just love how one author makes them sparkle while another makes them pirates (there is a series called Vampirates, no joke). This was a great read. I couldn't put it down!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Kewl! I love books about fairies. I'm a total sucker for them. And throw in dystopian and I'm so in. Yippee!

    Veri word: derelly. I actually like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha thats a great word! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dystopian AND fairies.....are the fairies....HAWT?!

    Verification word: esesperi
    Definition: a species of black-and-red striped fungi that grows only in the deep mountain caves of Transylvania.

    ............it looks like our verification words are trying to match the subject of the post. They're all very fairy-like..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish i could set the verification words. I would think of some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ignoring that you guys haven't read the book.

    I for one really liked it!!! But part of me thought it could of ended better. Not that the ending was bad, but I was hoping there would be more of an explination for everything and some of the loose ends would be tied together!

    P.S. And why is my name Mary Alice?!? Can I change that?!?

    ReplyDelete